- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 1/2 ounces grated sharp white cheddar (2/3 cup packed)
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into ten 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Ground pepper
- 1/3 cup small basil leaves, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, with racks in upper and middle thirds. Lightly flour a rolling pin and work surface and roll out puff pastry to a 14-by-16-inch rectangle. With a 4-inch cookie cutter, cut out 10 rounds and transfer to two parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets; with a fork, prick each round all over. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese on each, leaving a 1/4-inch border, and top with 1 tomato slice. Brush with oil and season with pepper.
- Bake until pastry is deep golden at edges, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let tartlets cool completely on a wire rack. To serve, top with basil.
Store between layers of parchment in an airtight container, up to 1 day.