Chinese five-spice powder and ground pepper give this down-home pie a hint of sophistication, but the filling will also be delicious if you leave them out.
Photography: Con Poulos
Martha Stewart Living, June 2011
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours 35 minutes
- Serves 8
Yield Makes one 9-inch pie
For the Crust
- 1 package (14 ounces) thawed frozen puff pastry (preferably <a href="http://www.dufourpastrykitchens.com/" target="_" blank="">Dufour</a>), chilled
- All-purpose flour, for baking sheet
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- Coarse and fine sanding sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
For the Filling
- 1 pound 4 ounces black plums, pitted and cut into 3/4-inch-thick wedges (about 4 cups)
- 6 ounces blackberries (1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make the crust: Unfold pastry on a very lightly floured baking sheet, and roll out to a 1/8-inch thickness. Set a 9-inch pie plate, upside down (do not press down), on 1 side of pastry, and cut around plate using a sharp paring knife. Remove dish. Cut five 3/4-inch-wide strips from scraps.
- Brush round with egg wash (do not let drip down sides), adhere strips to surface, and brush again with egg wash. Cut out a 2 1/2-inch hole in the center of pastry round using a biscuit cutter. Sprinkle with sanding sugar. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Make the filling: Mix together plums, blackberries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, five-spice powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Pour filling into pie plate, and cover with parchment-lined foil. Transfer to a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake pastry crust on top rack and filling in bottom third of oven for 30 minutes. Transfer crust on baking sheet to a wire rack (it should be golden and cooked through). Let cool slightly.
- Continue to bake filling until starting to bubble in center, about 30 minutes more. Remove from oven, uncover, and top with pastry crust.
- Bake pie until bubbling vigorously in center, about 10 minutes more. Transfer pie to a wire rack, and let cool for at least 1 hour before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.