Photography: Con Poulos
Martha Stewart Living, December 2005
Yield Makes enough for 14 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 6 ounces whipping-quality pasteurized egg whites
- Heat 1 1/2 cups sugar, the corn syrup, and 2/3 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium- high heat. Wash down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent crystals from forming. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reaches 235 degrees.
- Meanwhile, put egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Reduce speed to medium-low. Add the hot syrup in a slow, steady stream down sides of bowl. Raise speed to medium-high; beat until stiff peaks form and frosting is smooth and cool, about 7 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.