Grilled Beets with Fresh Goat Cheese Dressing
Tender, with a hint of crusty char, chef Bill Taibe's grilled beets make a tasty addition to any summer gathering.Also try: Grilled Radicchio with Lemon and Pine Nuts, Grilled Potato and Pickled Green Garlic Salad
The Martha Stewart Show, June 2011
For the Beets
- 6 medium red beets
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Maldon sea salt
- Chive blossoms (optional), for garnish
For the Goat Cheese Dressing
- 3/4 cup fresh goat cheese
- 1/2 cup goat's milk or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon fennel pollen or toasted ground fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Make the beets: Place beets in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Place each beet on an individual piece of parchment paper-lined aluminum foil; add a sprig of thyme to each and wrap to enclose.
- Preheat a grill: If using a charcoal grill, make a fire in your grill. When the charcoals are completely covered in gray ash, hold your hand about 5 inches above the grill grid; count how many seconds you can comfortably leave it there. When you can hold it there for 2 to 3 seconds, you have medium-high heat and are ready to grill. If you are using a gas grill, heat the grill for 15 minutes with the lid closed. Before beginning to cook, reduce the temperature by turning the knobs to medium-high.
- Place beets on grill and cook until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Make the dressing: Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together goat cheese, goat's milk, fennel pollen, and honey; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Unwrap beets and cut into 1-inch-thick slices. Brush slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on grill and cook, turning, until grill marks appear. Transfer to a platter and drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Add dressing, garnish with sea salt, and sprinkle with chive blossoms, if using. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.