Grilled Potato and Pickled Green Garlic Salad
This recipe from chef Bill Taibe combines tangy pickled green garlic with charred potatoes for a satisfying summer side.Also try: Grilled Beets with Fresh Goat Cheese Dressing, Grilled Radicchio with Lemon and Pine Nuts
- 3 pounds medium new potatoes
- Coarse salt
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup Pickled Green Garlic (http://www.marthastewart.com/356924/pickled-green-garlic)
- 6 tablespoons pickling liquid (from Pickled Green Garlic)
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Place potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover; generously salt water and add bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until potatoes are easily pierced with the tines of a fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Slice crosswise into 1-inch-thick rounds.
- Preheat a grill: If using a charcoal grill, make a fire in your grill. When the charcoals are completely covered in gray ash, hold your hand about 5 inches above the grill grid; count how many seconds you can comfortably leave it there. When you can hold it there for 2 to 3 seconds, you have medium-high heat and are ready to grill. If you are using a gas grill, heat the grill for 15 minutes with the lid closed. Before beginning to cook, reduce the temperature by turning the knobs to medium-high.
- Place potatoes on grill and cook, turning, until grill marks appear.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together mustards, pickled green garlic, pickling liquid, and olive oil.
- Transfer grilled potatoes to large bowl and gently toss to combine. Garnish with herbs and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.