"If You Gotta Have It" Peach Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
Brush chef Elizabeth Karmel's spicy-sweet sauce onto her Beer-Can Chicken or any other grilled favorite.
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chunky peach preserves
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Heinz chili sauce
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, sugar, 1/2 cup peach preserves, ketchup, chili sauce, both vinegars, molasses, and Worcestershire sauce, stirring after the addition of each ingredient to combine. Add chipotle powder and bring to a simmer over medium heat; simmer until flavors have blended and sauce has thickened slightly, about 30 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and let cool slightly. Using an immersion or regular blender, puree sauce. Add remaining 1/4 cup peach preserves and season with salt. Let stand for 5 minutes and stir again. Let cool completely. Sauce may be kept refrigerated, in an airtight container, for up to 2 weeks.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.