Cool as a Cucumber Salad
Fresh cucumbers and shallots are simply dressed and presented in this summer salad from chef Elizabeth Karmel of Hill Country Barbecue Market and Hill Country Chicken.
- 2 English cucumbers
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel alternating strips of green skin off the cucumbers. Using a mandoline or the slicing disk of a food processor, thinly slice cucumbers and transfer to a large bowl; add shallots and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, and vinegar until sugar and salt have completely dissolved. Pour sugar mixture over cucumber mixture and mix, making sure none of the slices stick together. Transfer cucumber mixture and liquid to a nonreactive container and cover tightly. Refrigerate, tossing occasionally, at least 3 hours and up to five days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.