With flecks of orange zest to punctuate the classic almond-flavored batter, These bars are baked in a tart pan rather than in the traditional individual molds. With flecks of orange zest to punctuate the classic almond-flavored batter, they're a treat with a pot of hot tea.
Martha Stewart Living, March
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1 cup almonds, lightly toasted (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 6 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Candied Orange Peel (http://www.marthastewart.com/282046/candied-orange-peel)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Brush the inside of a 13 1/2-by-4-inch tart pan that has a nonremovable bottom with melted butter; transfer to freezer.
- Using a food processor, pulse almonds until finely ground. In a large bowl, combine ground almonds, confectioners' sugar, flour, salt, and orange zest. Add egg whites, and whisk to combine. Slowly stir in butter.
- Remove tart pan from freezer. Pour batter into pan; place on a baking sheet. Bake until dough just begins to rise, about 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 400 degrees and continue baking 7 to 8 minutes more, until financier begins to brown. Turn off oven, and let cake stand in oven until firm, about 10 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Invert financier onto rack; reinvert, and slice into 6 pieces. Garnish top with candied orange peel, and dust with confectioners' sugar.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.