Yield Makes about 4 2/3 cups (enough for 7 dozen 1 3/4-inch cookies, 5 dozen 2 1/4-inch cookies, 30 2 3/4-inch cookies, or 13 3 1/2-inch cookies)
- 1 cup water, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup meringue powder (<a href="http://nycake.com" target="_blank">nycake.com</a>)
- 2 pounds confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Gel-paste food coloring in Red Red, Royal Blue, and Navy Blue (<a href="http://nycake.com" target="_blank">nycake.com</a>)
- Whisk water and meringue powder with a mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes. Add sugar, and beat until icing holds a ribbonlike trail on the surface for 5 seconds when beater
is raised. (Icing should be the consistency of glue.)
- Transfer two-thirds of the white icing to the squeeze bottle with the larger hole or to the pastry bag fitted with the larger tip.
- Divide remaining icing in half, and tint one half using red food coloring and the other half using the 2 blue food colorings until desired colors are achieved.
- Transfer red and blue icings to the remaining 2 squeeze bottles or the pastry bags fitted with the smaller tips.
Icing can be refrigerated in an airtight container (with a damp paper towel covering the surface) for up to 1 week.