Martha Stewart Living, April 1997
- 6 large artichokes
- Juice of 4 lemons
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Large sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Lemon Mayonnaise (http://www.marthastewart.com/264005/lemon-mayonnaise)
- Trim artichokes; snap off tough outer leaves. Cut off top third of artichoke. Snip remaining leaf tips with scissors. Trim stem so artichoke will stand upright. Trim base. Spread leaves to gain easier access to choke; scoop choke with melon baller. Squeeze some lemon juice onto heart; squeeze more lemon juice into bowl of ice water, and add lemon halves and artichoke while preparing the rest.
- Fill pot large enough to accommodate all artichokes with 2 inches of water. Add all ingredients except artichokes and the mayonnaise; bring to a simmer. Add artichokes, stem end up; cover pot. Steam until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. The leaves should pull off easily; the heart should feel tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Drain well; cool to room temperature, or serve chilled, with lemon mayonnaise.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.