Poached Chicken with Grainy Mustard Sauce
Grainy mustard is spooned over poached chicken with apricots and pineapple.
Per serving: 318 calories, 3 g fat, 53 g cholesterol, 21 g carbohydrate, 377 mg sodium, 32 g protein, 4 g dietary fiber.
10th Anniversary Cookbook; Martha Stewart Living Cookbook, 2000
- 4 skinless chicken breast halves, bone in
- 2 carrots, scrubbed
- 2 small onions, peeled and cut in half
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 10 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, in 1-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1/4 pound baby lettuce, such as mache
- Place chicken, carrots, onions, celery, bay leaf, parsley, wine, and peppercorns in a stockpot. Add water to cover (about 3 quarts); bring to a boil. Reduce heat so liquid is at a bare simmer. Poach, adjusting heat to maintain bare simmer and skimming any scum off the top, until chicken is cooked, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken from stock; use a sharp knife to remove meat from bones. Place meat in a dish; add stock to just cover. Return bones to pot; simmer until very flavorful, about 1 hour. Pass stock through a cheesecloth-lined strainer; discard solids.
- In a clean saucepan, return stock to a boil. Reduce heat so stock is at a bare simmer. Add apricots and pineapple, and poach until tender, about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove fruit; season fruit with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon tarragon.
- Raise heat to high; cook stock until reduced to 1/3 cup, 45 minutes. Reduce heat to low; whisk in mustard, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and tarragon, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Divide lettuce among four plates. Slice chicken; place on greens. Pour mustard sauce over chicken, and serve with reserved apricot-and-pineapple mixture.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.