Phyllo Rolls with Wild Greens
Martha Stewart Living Television, February 2001
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 medium bunch scallions, white and most of the greens, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced wild greens, (such as baby spinach, tender Swiss chard leaves, mustard greens, miner's lettuce, dandelion greens, orache, outer leaves of escarole or romaine lettuce, and/or beet greens)
- 1 teaspoon toasted fennel seeds, freshly ground or crushed in a mortar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 8 sheets phyllo
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Add fennel bulb; cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add scallions and chopped garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Add greens, and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and season with fennel seeds and pepper to taste. Stir in mint. Transfer to a bowl until cooled completely. Crumble feta cheese over cooled greens; stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning. This should yield 2 cups.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a rack. Spray rack with cooking spray. In a small saucepan, melt together remaining 1/2 cup oil and butter over medium heat. Lay one sheet of phyllo on a clean work surface with the long side parallel to edge of counter. Brush liberally with butter-oil mixture. Top with a second sheet of phyllo. Brush second sheet with butter-oil mixture. Cut in half crosswise. Place about 1/4 cup filling at one end of each half. Fold in sides, and roll up to form an egg-roll shape. Brush with butter-oil mixture, and prick in several spots with a toothpick or the tip of a paring knife. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
- Bake until golden brown and filling is heated through, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool briefly before cutting in half on the diagonal. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.