Classic Shaker Lemon Tarts
The perfume of individual lemon tarts fills the room as they bake. The Shakers get credit for this dessert with a lemony pucker-worthy filling that's baked in piecrust shells.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2005
Yield Makes seven 4 1/2-inch tarts
- 2 large lemons (about 7 ounces each)
- 2 cups sugar
- Pie Dough (http://www.marthastewart.com/283237/pie-dough)
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cut lemons crosswise into paper-thin rounds using a mandoline or a very sharp knife; discard ends and seeds. Place lemon slices in a medium nonreactive bowl, and add sugar; toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough into seven 6-inch rounds. Fit rounds into 4 1/2-inch round tart pans with removable bottoms. Trim edges flush with tops. Place on a rimmed baking sheet; freeze until firm, 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with rack in lower third. Add eggs to lemon mixture, and stir to combine. Pour through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Divide liquid among tart shells, then top with the lemon slices, arranging decoratively.
- Bake tarts on baking sheet 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees, bake until filling is set and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool on sheet on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove tarts from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.