Midnight Moon Cookies
Photocopy cat template at 100 percent.
Martha Stewart Living, October 2008
For the Chocolate Cats and Icing
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar (4 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup boiling water, plus more as needed
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
For the Cookies
- Vegetable oil, cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour (not self-rising)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Make the cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray, line with parchment, and coat parchment. Sift flours, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium, and add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then add vanilla. Reduce speed to low, and beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk, starting and ending with flour.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip. Pipe batter into ten 1/2-inch-thick, 3 1/2-inch-wide rounds, spacing them 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake cookies until firm but not browned on bottoms, 9 to 10 minutes. Transfer parchment with cookies to wire racks, and let cool.
- Make the cats and icing: Place melted chocolate in a pastry bag fitted with the smallest round tip. Tape 10 cat templates onto a baking sheet, then tape waxed paper over templates to baking sheet. Pipe chocolate on center and legs of 1 cat. Using a toothpick, spread chocolate to edges for fur. Repeat with remaining cats and chocolate. Freeze until hard, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift confectioners' sugar into a large bowl. Add boiling water in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth. Add butter, and whisk until smooth, adding more water if needed to thin.
- Remove cats from freezer, and cut waxed paper around each cat. Return to freezer. Spread a thin layer of icing on flat side of 1 cookie. Peel waxed paper from 1 cat. Using a small offset spatula, flip a cat, smooth side up, then center on icing. Repeat with remaining cookies, icing, and cats.
Cookies will keep in an airtight container up to 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.