Jean-Georges's Sauteed Shrimp in Orange Dust
Orange dust, invented by a former chef at Jo-Jo, restaurateur Jean-Georges Vongerichten's first establishment, gives this light, healthful appetizer its zing. You can make the dust up to 2 weeks in advance; substitute lemons or limes for the oranges as desired.
Martha Stewart Living, November 1998
- 4 large artichokes
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 24 large shrimp (at least 1 pound), peeled and deveined
- Cayenne pepper, for sprinkling
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Jean-Georges's Orange Dust (http://www.marthastewart.com/257073/jean-georgess-orange-dust)
- 3 to 4 cups arugula leaves, washed
- Fresh basil, minced, for garnish
- Cut off tops of artichokes to within 1 or 1 1/2 inches from the bases. Remove all but 1/2 inch of stems. Cut all around artichokes, removing all hard parts. Open centers; dig out chokes. Trim any remaining hard parts, leaving the artichoke bottoms.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a deep, large saute pan set over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and saute until it begins to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Lay artichoke bottoms on top of onion, then pour in wine.
- Bring liquid to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Simmer, turning the artichokes after 15 minutes, until bottoms are tender but not mushy, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove cooked artichokes, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid in pan. Cut artichokes into bite-size chunks; return to pan. Add the remaining tablespoon oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Turn heat to very low, keeping artichokes warm.
- Season the shrimp with salt and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper. Heat a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the butter.
- Dredge one side of each piece of shrimp in the orange dust; place in pan. Cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes; turn, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more.
- When ready to serve, divide arugula among four plates. Top each with a portion of the artichokes and 6 shrimp; pour the artichoke liquid over tops; garnish with basil. Sprinkle a little orange dust around the outside of each plate, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.