Steamed Ricotta Dumplings
These dumplings make elegant hors d'oevres when served in individual Chinese soupspoons. Dumpling skins are available in Asian markets and the freezer section of supermarkets.
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1997/1998
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 thin slices prosciutto, finely chopped
- 7 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 36 dumpling skins
- Cornstarch, for dusting
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Tomato Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/262593/tomato-sauce)
- 2 tablespoons very small basil leaves
- Line a strainer with double layer of cheesecloth. Put ricotta in strainer; place strainer over a bowl. Cover; refrigerate overnight. Discard liquid. Transfer ricotta to a medium bowl; add prosciutto, Parmesan, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Lightly dust a parchment-lined baking pan with cornstarch, and set aside. Place a dumpling skin on a clean surface. Using your fingertip, wet edge of both sides of skin. Place 2 teaspoons of ricotta mixture in center. Draw up edges; make a small pleat. Squeeze pleat firmly together; continue making pleats until dumpling is sealed. Place completed dumpling on prepared pan. Loosely cover with plastic wrap. Repeat process, using remaining skins and filling.
- Fill a wok or a high-sided saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, bringing water to a simmer. Using a pastry brush, generously brush top and bottom compartments of large bamboo steamer basket with oil. Brush any excess cornstarch from dumplings; arrange loosely in compartments. Assemble steamer, cover, and place over simmering water. Steam until wrappers are soft and filling is heated through, about 8 minutes, switching top and bottom compartments halfway through steaming.
- Pour 1 teaspoon tomato sauce into a Chinese soupspoon, and place a dumpling on top; if using another vessel, serve sauce on side. Garnish with basil leaf, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.