These corn cakes make a great accompaniment to the adobo chicken that is a favorite at Jimmy's Bronx Cafe. The recipe comes courtesy of the restaurant's owner, Jimmy Rodriguez.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 5 ears corn, shucked
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, puree the corn with milk, sugar, salt, pepper, egg, and cornmeal. The batter should be the consistency of a thick pancake batter.
- Heat a large nonstick saute pan over low heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter. When the butter has melted and is hot, add batter, forming 3-inch rounds. Cook for 2 minutes, turn, and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat process with remaining butter and batter. The cachapas may be made 2 hours in advance and kept uncovered at room temperature. They may be reheated in a 350-degree oven until heated through.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.