- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 3/4 cup canola oil, plus more for pans
- 4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- Grind flax seeds in a spice mill or a clean coffee grinder until fine. Set aside. Heat oven to 375 degrees with rack in center. Lightly grease two 9-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pans with canola oil.
- In a large bowl, sift or whisk together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add canola oil, buttermilk, and molasses, and stir until well blended. Stir in wheat germ and reserved flax seeds. Divide batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Even out tops with a spatula.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven, and transfer to a cooling rack.
The bread may be frozen, double-wrapped in plastic wrap, up to 3 weeks, or refrigerated up to 1 week.