Pear and Sour Cherry Flat Pie
Martha Stewart Living, November 2006
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- 14 ounces best-quality frozen puff pastry (such as Dufour), thawed
- 3 small Bartlett pears, or 2 meduim pears, peeled, halved, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 1 pound 2 ounces)
- 2 ounces dried sour cherries
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Five-spice powder
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, unfold dough, and roll to 10 by 15 inches. Cut into two 10-by-7 1/2-inch rectangles. Refrigerate until cold.
- Stir pears, cherries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and 1/8 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and spice powder in a bowl.
- Transfer 1 rectangle of dough to a baking sheet lined with parchment. Spoon fruit mixture onto dough, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Brush border with beaten egg. Lay remaining dough over filling; press gently to seal. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Transfer to a room-temperature rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Trim edges, and brush top with beaten egg. Cut five 5-inch vents in top. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake, rotating once, until crust is golden and juices are bubbling, about 35 minutes. Transfer pie to a wire rack; let cool 20 minutes before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.