Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Martha Stewart Kids, Spring
- Two 14 1/2-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 celery stalk with leaves, cut lengthwise into four pieces, plus 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut lengthwise into four pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 1 whole boneless and skinless chicken breast (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 loaf whole-wheat bread, sliced and crusts removed
- 1/2 head green-leaf lettuce, leaves separated
- Place chicken broth and the water in a medium saucepan. Add celery stalk pieces, carrot, onion, bay leaf, and peppercorns; bring mixture just to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and add chicken breast. Poach until chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a plate; let cool.
- Transfer chicken to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade; process until it is finely ground. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add mustard, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and remaining 1/2 cup diced celery. Season with salt and pepper, and stir well to combine. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until needed.
- Make sandwiches: Spread a dab of remaining 1/2 cup mayonnaise on one side of each of the bread slices. Top half the slices with a thin layer of chicken salad and a few lettuce leaves; cover with remaining bread slices. Cut sandwiches in half. Stack several, and wrap well in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.