Martha Stewart Living, October 2005
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, white and pale-green parts only, washed well and coarsely chopped
- Coarsely chopped fronds from 1 fennel bulb
- 2 garlic cloves
- Reserved lobster shell from Provencal Seafood Pie (http://www.marthastewart.com/258213/provencal-seafood-pie)
- Reserved shrimp shells from Provencal Seafood Pie (http://www.marthastewart.com/258213/provencal-seafood-pie)
- 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 3 canned whole peeled plum tomatoes, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, leek, fennel fronds, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 6 minutes. Add lobster shells and shrimp shells, parsley, and bay leaf; cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in wine, clam juice, tomatoes, and 1 1/2 cups water. Reduce heat to medium low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- Pour stock through a fine sieve into a medium bowl; discard solids. Add saffron and cayenne. Season with salt.
Fumet can be stored in the freezer up to 3 months.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.