Chilled Rhubarb and Raspberry Soup
And now, dessert: This luminous, vanilla-scented concoction is sweet, tart, refreshing, and a touch indulgent, thanks to a scoop of ice cream.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2009
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Seeds and pod of 1/2 vanilla bean
- 4 to 6 stalks rhubarb (1 pound), thinly sliced
- 4 cups water
- 6 ounces raspberries (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- Vanilla ice cream, if desired
- Raspberries, if desired
- Bring sugar, vanilla bean seeds and pod, rhubarb, and water to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat, and add raspberries and 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar if desired, depending on sweetness of the fruit. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Gently mash fruit with a ladle. Strain through a coarse sieve into a large bowl; discard solids. Chill soup at least 3 hours or up to overnight. Garnish each serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and raspberries if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.