Chicken with Artichokes and Mushrooms
The chicken should be pounded to a uniform thickness. Place each piece between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound gently with the flat side of a meat mallet.
- 2 lemons
- 8 fresh baby artichokes
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon champagne or white-wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 whole skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 8 ounces), split
- 1/3 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 4 ounces enoki mushrooms, 1 inch trimmed from stems
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, stems trimmed (white mushrooms may be substituted)
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
- Two 24-inch lengths parchment paper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut 1 lemon in half crosswise. Fill a medium bowl with cold water. Squeeze the juice from the lemon halves into the water and add the halves. Trim 1/4 to 1/2 inch from tops of artichokes and trim stems to 1/2 inch. Pull off and discard outer leaves down to the light-yellow leaves. Slice artichokes lengthwise as thinly as possible. Place in the bowl of lemon water and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine white wine, stock, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Set aside. Slice the other lemon crosswise to yield 10 thin slices and set aside. Remove tenderloins from each chicken breast; place tenderloins and chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound gently to a thickness of about 1/4 inch and set aside.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add orzo, cook until al dente, about 8 minutes, and drain. Drain artichokes and discard lemon halves.
- Fold each parchment piece in half, cut into a half-heart shape, and open. About 2 to 3 inches from the crease, arrange a quarter of the artichoke slices and cover with 2 lemon slices. Arrange a quarter of the enoki and oyster mushrooms on top and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of thyme. Place one chicken breast and tenderloin on the artichokes and mushrooms and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons of thyme. Place 3 lemon slices on chicken; cover with another quarter of the artichokes and mushrooms. Tuck 1 garlic clove close to chicken and drizzle with half the wine and stock mixture.
- Fold the other half of parchment over the ingredients. Make small overlapping folds to seal the edges, starting at the top of the heart.
- Two inches from the end, twist the parchment twice, gently but firmly, to seal the packet. Repeat, making the second packet. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Divide orzo between 2 plates; open packets, discard garlic cloves, and arrange contents on the orzo. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.