- 1 stick plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for ramekins
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for ramekins
- 5 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (70 percent cacao), chopped (1 1/4 cups)
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Butter and flour six 6-ounce (2-inch-deep) ramekins.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Meanwhile, whisk together eggs and sugar until pale and thick, about 4 minutes. Sift flour and salt into another bowl.
- Fold egg mixture into chocolate mixture. Immediately fold in flour mixture. Divide batter evenly among ramekins, filling each three-quarters full. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake until just set, 14 to 16 minutes. Let cool for 3 minutes. Turn out cakes onto plates.
Filled ramekins can be refrigerated for up to 2 days