Homemade BBQ Sauce
This sauce is used in the recipe for Backyard Barbecued Chicken.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 4 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cane syrup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons red hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Creole Seasoning (http://www.marthastewart.com/261674/creole-seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or more to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add all the remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the flavors have married, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
Any unused sauce can be stored in an airtight nonreactive container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.