- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 4 plum tomatoes, finely chopped, with their juice
- 1 3/4 cups finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (about 2 medium bunches)
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- Soak bulgur in cold water 10 minutes. Drain in a sieve lined with damp cheesecloth; squeeze out all water. Transfer to a serving bowl; fluff with a fork.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, parsley, and scallions. Add lemon juice, salt, and oil; season with pepper. Toss to coat. Just before serving, stir in mint.
Mint is optional. Martha prepared bulgur as follows: In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water, bulgur, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well; transfer to a serving bowl. Fluff with a fork and let cool completely.