Mashed Potatoes and Celeriac with Wild Mushrooms
The celeriac, or celery root, can be roasted ahead of time; let it stand at room temperature until you're ready to add it to the mashed potatoes.
Martha Stewart Living, November 1995
- 7 medium Yukon Gold, or Idaho potatoes (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 medium heads celeriac (about 1 pound each), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons <u>Homemade Chicken Stock</u>, or low-sodium canned chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound assorted wild mushrooms, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 4 teaspoons snipped chives
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place potatoes in a medium stockpot, cover with water, and add 1 tablespoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium high, and boil gently until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Drain potatoes in a colander. When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes, and pass the flesh through a potato ricer into a large metal bowl. Cover with aluminum foil, and place over a pot of simmering water.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine celeriac, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon chicken stock, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Transfer to a shallow baking pan, and roast until celeriac is browned and tender, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven, and stir celeriac into potatoes. Cover bowl of potatoes again.
- In a small saucepan, combine cream, milk, and 4 tablespoons butter; warm over medium-high heat until butter melts and milk just comes to a boil, about 2 minutes. Stir into the potato and celeriac mixture along with 2 tablespoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover bowl again.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining tablespoon olive oil and remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the sturdiest mushrooms to skillet. Saute, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add remaining mushrooms, 3 teaspoons rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until mushrooms are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sherry and remaining 2 tablespoons stock, and cook until mushrooms absorb the liquid, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer potatoes and celeriac to a serving dish, and cover with mushrooms. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.