Coffee Ice Cream
Homemade coffee ice cream is the perfect ending to a summer meal.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2007
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brewed espresso
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 large egg yolks
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Combine milk, cream, 1/2 cup sugar, the espresso, and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl.
- Gradually whisk half the hot milk mixture into the egg-yolk mixture. Pour egg-yolk mixture into saucepan, and whisk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl set in ice-water bath. Let cool, stirring occasionally. Place plastic wrap on surface of custard to prevent a skin from forming, and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container, and freeze for at least 1 hour before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.