This pudding can also be refrigerated and served cold with heavy cream poured on top.
Photography: Anita Calero
Martha Stewart Living, October 1996
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more to taste
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together cornstarch, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, and salt. Combine 1 1/4 cups cream with milk. Whisk 1 cup cream mixture into dry ingredients until cornstarch is dissolved. Whisk in remaining cream mixture; place saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 5 minutes. Add chocolate; cook, whisking, 1 minute more. Remove from heat, and whisk in butter until melted. Transfer to a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Let stand until lukewarm, about 45 minutes.
- Whip the remaining cup of cream to soft peaks. Divide pudding among four bowls, and serve with whipped cream. Lightly sprinkle cinnamon on whipped cream, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.