- Extra-virgin olive oil, for pan
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/3 cups polenta (about 9 ounces)
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 7 cups sunflower oil, for frying
- Sea salt, for serving
- Brush a small rimmed baking sheet with olive oil; set aside. In a large pot, bring 6 cups water to a boil over high heat; season with salt. Slowly whisk in polenta, and cook, partially covered, and stirring every 4 to 5 minutes, over medium-low heat until it begins to thicken, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Carefully pour polenta onto prepared baking sheet, spreading it out to an even thickness. Let cool, and tear into 1-inch pieces; lightly dust with flour.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels; set aside. Meanwhile, heat sunflower oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot until it registers 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Using a slotted spoon, carefully add polenta in batches while maintaining the temperature of the oil. Cook until crispy, about 4 minutes. Transfer to prepared baking sheet to drain. Serve immediately seasoned with sea salt.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.