Frozen Chocolate-Mousse Trifles
These are equally tasty with rum in place of brandy -- or without any alcohol at all.
Everyday Food, June 2011
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes plus freezing
- Serves 4
- 2 cups crumbled chocolate angel-food cake (5 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- 1/2 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- In a medium bowl, toss together cake and brandy, if desired. In another medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites on high until foamy. With mixer on medium, gradually add sugar. Increase speed to high and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form, 2 minutes. With a rubber spatula, gently fold cocoa powder into egg white mixture.
- In another medium bowl, beat cream on high until stiff peaks form, 3 minutes. Gently fold whipped cream into egg white mixture.
- Fill each of four small glasses with 1/4 cup cake and top with heaping 1/4 cup mousse. Repeat to make a second layer with remaining cake and mousse. Freeze until firm, 3 hours (or up to overnight). Let sit 10 minutes at room temperature, then finely grate chocolate over tops to serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.