Chickpea, Mint, and Parsley Spread
Martha Stewart Living, May 2007
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Makes about 2 cups
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 small garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 to 4 warmed pitas, for serving
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add chickpeas, and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool 15 minutes.
- Add chickpea mixture, mint, parsley, lemon juice, and salt to a food processor, season with pepper, and puree. With machine running, add remaining 1/4 cup oil in a slow, steady stream, mixing until emulsified. Transfer to a serving bowl, and drizzle with oil. Serve with pitas.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.