Coconut Cream Filling
This filling may be made up to one day ahead and kept, tightly covered, in the refrigerator. Use this to fill our Coconut Layer Cake.
Martha Stewart Living, May 1997
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 ounces (1 1/2 cups) sweetened angel-flake coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Unsalted butter, for wrap
- Place egg yolks in a large bowl; whisk to combine; set bowl aside.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk 1/2 cup hot milk mixture into the reserved egg yolks to temper. Slowly pour warm yolks into the saucepan, stirring constantly. Cook slowly, stirring, over medium-low heat, until mixture begins to bubble, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and vanilla.
- Transfer filling to a medium mixing bowl. Lightly butter a piece of plastic wrap, and lay it directly on top of filling to prevent a skin from forming. Chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.