Sugared Lemon Zest
- 4 lemons
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups fine sanding sugar (or substitute granulated sugar)
- Using a paring knife, remove zest from lemons in wide strips. Trim away white pith from underside of zest. Slice zest into 1/4- to 1/8-inch-thick strips, each about 2 inches long.
- Place zest in a saucepan, and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and then strain, reserving zest. Repeat boiling and straining two more times.
- Return zest to pan, and add granulated sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until zest is almost translucent, 15 to 20 minutes. Strain, gently shaking zest to remove as much syrup as possible.
- Place sanding sugar in a medium bowl. Toss zest in sugar to coat. Shake off excess sugar, and carefully transfer zest to a wire rack to dry for 5 minutes. Shake off any remaining excess sugar, and continue to dry on rack for 25 minutes more.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.