Plum Skillet Cake
This plum-topped dessert is baked in a skillet and yields a moist, tender cake. You can also use an 8-inch cake pan.
Martha Stewart Living, August 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 4
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for skillet
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for skillet
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Coarse salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 ripe medium plums, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8-inch ovenproof skillet
(preferably cast-iron); dust with flour, tapping out excess.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and
1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat butter and 3/4 cup sugar with a mixer
on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg. Add
flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk.
- Pour batter into prepared skillet, and smooth top
with an offset spatula. Fan plums on top, and sprinkle with
remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until golden
brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out
clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.