Instead of plain-old mashed potatoes, get your holiday starch from beta-carotene-rich vegetables like butternut squash and carrots.
- Prep Time 40 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours, 40 minutes
- Serves 8
- 1 small butternut squash (1 1/2 pounds), pared, halved, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 pound parsnips, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 small rutabaga (1 pound), pared, halved, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 pound shallots, peeled, halved if large
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- While the turkey roasts, combine the vegetables and rosemary on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Cover with foil.
- After the turkey has roasted an hour, place the vegetables on the second rack in the oven. Roast 1 1/2 hours, uncover, and roast 30 minutes longer, tossing occasionally until vegetables are tender and golden brown.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.