- 1 chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces (or 10 drumsticks), trimmed of fat, some skin left on
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 4 medium russet potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and quartered
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1 (1 pound) piece pumpkin, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 ears yellow corn, shucked and cut crosswise into 3 pieces
- 1/2 pound (2 cups) green beans, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven, combine chicken and onion. Add enough water to cover. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, skimming as necessary, for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes, rice, pumpkin, and corn, and additional water to cover, if necessary. Stir well to combine. Cover, and simmer until chicken, rice, and vegetables are almost tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans, and simmer until tender, 7 to 10 minutes more. Stir in cilantro. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
This stew is even better if made in advance. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.