This recipe for hush puppies is from "Southern Country Cooking from the Loveless Cafe," by Jane and Michael Stern. Serve this and a side of sour slaw with braised pork chops for a delicious meal.
The Martha Stewart Show, January 2007
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup grated onion
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 large egg whites
- Canola oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir in onions. Combine egg yolk and buttermilk; stir into cornmeal mixture until combined.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold into cornmeal mixture.
- Fill a large deep skillet with 2 to 3 inches oil. Heat oil until it reaches 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Working in batches, drop batter, 1 teaspoon at a time, into the oil and cook, turning once, until the hush puppies rise to the surface and are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.