Cornmeal Shortbread Dough
Martha Stewart Living, August 2005
Yield Makes enough for 1 tart
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons fine yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk together yolk, cream, and vanilla in a small bowl; set aside.
- Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in yolk mixture and orange zest until combined. Mix in flour mixture until just combined. Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes or up to 1 day, before using.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.