Curried Zucchini Soup
A cup of this soup is delicious, served hot or cold. To chill quickly, place soup in a bowl, and set in an ice-water bath, stirring frequently until cool.
Everyday Food, September 2005
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Coarse salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini (about 3 medium), sliced 1 inch thick
- 1 baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and 1 tablespoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and curry powder; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add zucchini, potato, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In batches, puree soup in a blender (do not fill more than halfway) until smooth; serve immediately, or let cool, and refrigerate in an airtight container until chilled. Garnish with toasted almonds.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.