Tender Lemon Cake
Martha Stewart Baby, Fall
Yield Makes three 6-inch round layers
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
- 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter three 6-by-2-inch round baking pans. Line with parchment; butter; dust with flour.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. With electric mixer, beat butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 4 minutes. Add sugar; beat well. Reduce speed to medium; add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Reduce speed to low; alternately add flour and buttermilk, starting and ending with flour. Stir in zest.
- Pour batter into pans; bake, rotating halfway through, until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool in pans on rack 15 minutes. Remove; let cool completely right side up on rack.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.