Apricots Baked in Fig Leaves
Succulent apricots wrapped in fig leaves need little more than a sprinkling of sugar and lemon zest to enhance their flavor. But, as Martha discovers, a dollop of vanilla ice cream certainly makes a delicious accompaniment.
Martha Stewart Living Television, July 2001
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for baking dishes
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- 8 fresh fig leaves, tough stems removed
- 4 medium apricots, halved and pitted
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter two medium baking dishes. Sprinkle each dish with 1/2 teaspoon sugar; set aside.
- Place a fig leaf, dark-side down, on a work surface. Place an apricot half, cut-side up, in center of leaf. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and dot with 1/2 teaspoon butter. Wrap leaf around apricot to enclose. Place, seam-side down, in prepared dish. Repeat with remaining apricots, placing 4 wrapped apricots in each dish. Brush packets with remaining 3 1/2 teaspoons butter and sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar. Sprinkle lemon zest evenly over the packets. Bake until fruit is soft when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 20 minutes. Serve topped with a scoop of ice cream.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.