Cheesy Beans and Franks
Beans stand in for noodles in this rich and tasty variation on macaroni and cheese. Sliced sausage adds flavor and texture.
Martha Stewart Kids, Fall
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 3 1/2 cups grated (9 ounces) yellow cheddar cheese
- 2 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups smoked beef sausage (7 ounces), halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick half-moons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup finely crushed croutons
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute, stirring frequently, until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add flour, and stir to coat onion. Reduce heat to medium. While stirring with a whisk, add the milk in a steady stream; continue whisking constantly, especially in the corners of the pan, until combined. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until sauce begins to thicken slightly, about 2 minutes. Add the cheese 1 cup at a time, stirring to combine after each addition.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the beans and sausage. Season with salt and pepper, and transfer to an 8-inch square or 6-cup-capacity ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle croutons over the top of the casserole, and bake until edges are bubbling, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Let cool slightly before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.