Coming soon to a market near you: sweet-tart raspberries. Use the fruit as the base for an aromatic syrup, and combine with seltzer for a refreshing sip. A few tablespoons of the mixture also enlivens white wine, vodka, and iced or hot tea. Make a double or triple batch to keep in the refrigerator. It will last for up to a week.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2010
- 2 pints raspberries
- 1 lemon, sliced 1/4 inch thick (optional)
- 1 vanilla bean (split, seeds scraped, pod reserved) or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups seltzer
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Combine raspberries, sliced lemon (if using), vanilla bean, and sugar in a double boiler or heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Cook, stirring, until raspberries have released most of their juices, about 12 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve, pressing gently with the back of a spoon; discard solids. Let cool. Pour 1/4 cup syrup into each of 3 ice-filled glasses. Top each with 1 cup seltzer. Serve with lemon wedges.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.