Mashed Squash and Potatoes with Amaretti
Mashed buttercup squash and potatoes with Parmesan are baked with an amaretti-cookie topping. This dish is perfect on any Thanksgiving table.
Martha Stewart Living, November Holiday 2004
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- Coarse salt
- 3 pounds buttercup squash (about 1 small squash), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 10 Amaretti (Italian almond cookies), crushed into fine crumbs (about 3/4 cup)
- Cover potatoes with cold water, in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; add salt. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook potatoes until soft, about 25 minutes. In another medium saucepan, cover squash with cold water. Bring to a boil; add salt. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook until soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and squash thoroughly.
- Force potatoes through a ricer into a bowl. In a separate bowl, mash squash with a potato masher; stir in potatoes.
- Bring 4 tablespoons butter and the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and the nutmeg. Season with pepper. Stir cream mixture and 1/3 cup cheese into potato mixture. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Spoon into a buttered 10-inch round baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle mixture with crushed cookies and remaining cheese. Dot topping with remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Bake until topping is just browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.