Fresh Radishes with Flavored Salts and Butter
Softened butter soothes the peppery bite of fresh
radishes. Serve the flavored salts, the softened butter,
and the whole radishes in separate dishes, and
allow guests to dip as they like.
Martha Stewart Living, April 1998
- 3 tablespoons whole fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
- 2 cups coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 24 medium radishes, trimmed
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- Toast fennel seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat, shaking pan continuously, until aromatic, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder; grind until seeds are no longer coarse. Repeat with cumin seeds.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir ground fennel seeds into 1/2 cup coarse salt; transfer to a small serving bowl. Wipe out mixing bowl, then mix ground cumin seeds into 1/2 cup coarse salt; transfer to another small serving bowl. Wipe out mixing bowl, then stir paprika and cayenne pepper into 1/2 cup coarse salt; transfer to a third serving bowl.
- Arrange radishes on a serving platter. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup salt into another serving bowl. Transfer softened butter to a slightly larger bowl. Serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.