- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for baking sheets
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Butter 2 rimmed baking sheets; set aside. Place corn kernels and oil in a large pot over medium-high heat; cover. Once kernels begin to pop, shake pot frequently; when popping slows to about 3 seconds between pops, remove from heat; uncover. Transfer to a large bowl. Add almonds; toss.
- Cook sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring, until it reaches 255 degrees.
- Remove from heat. Stir in extracts, salt, and baking soda. Pour over popcorn mixture; toss to coat. Divide between prepared sheets. Bake, stirring occasionally, 1 hour 20 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.
Popcorn can be stored in airtight containers up to 1 week.
Martha has also prepared this recipe with 2 1/2 tablespoons of canola oil and 2 cups of lightly toasted almonds.