Pate Brisee to Make Two 9-Inch Single-Crust Pies or One Double-Crust or Lattice-Crust Pie
Use this recipe to make an old-fashioned lattice crust.
Photography: Kenji Toma
Martha Stewart Living, August 2007
Yield Makes enough for two 9-inch single-crust pies or one double-crust or lattice-crust pie
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 1/4 sticks (18 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 to 6 tablespoons ice water, plus more if needed
- Pulse flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor to combine. Add butter, and process until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. With machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream through the feed tube until dough just holds together (no longer than 30 seconds).
- Divide dough in half, and shape into disks. Wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days).
Freeze for up to 1 month.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.