Pate Brisee to Make One Double-Crust or Two Single-Crust Pies
- Yield Makes enough for 1 double-crust or 2 single-crust pies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup ice water
- Pulse flour and salt in a food processor to combine. Add butter, cut into small pieces, and pulse until mixture forms coarse crumbs with some larger pieces remaining, about 10 seconds.
- With machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream until dough just holds together without being wet or sticky, no longer than 30 seconds.
- Divide dough in half; flatten and shape into disks, and wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
For the flakiest crust, make sure all ingredients (including the flour) are cold when you begin.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.