Sweet Pastry Shell
Martha Stewart Living, September 1997
Yield Makes one 12-inch tart shell
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup cold (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 scant cup confectioner's sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- In a food processor, combine flour, salt, and butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add sugar and egg yolks; pulse until dough comes together. Turn dough out on a piece of plastic wrap, form into a ball, wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place a fluted 12-inch tart pan with a removeable bottom on a baking sheet. Coarsely grate chilled pastry into pan. Press dough down evenly, about 1/8-inch thick, on the bottom and up sides of pan; do not let pastry warm. Chill again for at least 30 minutes.
- Line shell with parchment paper and pie weights. Bake until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Allow shell to cool before filling, and remove pie weights.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.